That's Ms. Hill to You

Ruminations on life, remodeling, art, and whatever else comes to me at 3 a.m.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Guess who wrote this

My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others! My manner of thinking stems straight from my considered reflections; it holds with my existence, with the way I am made. It is not in my power to alter it; and were it, I'd not do so.

This manner of thinking you find fault with is my sole consolation in life. It alleviates all my sufferings in prison, it comprises all my pleasures in the world outside, it is dearer to me than life itself. Not my manner of thinking, but the manner of thinking of others has been the source of my unhappiness.

The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable. A traveler journeys along a fine road. It has been strewn with traps. He falls into one. Do you say it is the traveler's fault, or that of the scoundrel who lays the traps? If then, as you tell me, they are willing to restore my liberty if I am willing to pay for it by the sacrifice of my principles or my tastes, we may bid one another an eternal adieu, for rather than part with those, I would sacrifice a thousand lives and a thousand liberties, if I had them.

These principles and these tastes, I am their fanatic adherent; and fanaticism in me is the product of the persecutions I have endured from my tyrants. The longer they continue their vexations, the deeper they root my principles in my heart, and I openly declare that no one need ever talk to me of liberty if it is offered to me only in return for their destruction.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

I think that this is some of the best political writing ever, and am just waiting to hear who you all think wrote it - because it was written by someone who you would least suspect of writing a manifesto of freedom....

July 21, 2006 4:22 AM  
Blogger ivan said...

From someone else hanging in the air:

I have read somewhere, "be tough or be crumpled."

My gay friend says, "ah, hell, you just get crinkled. You end up gay."

There is strange insight here.

Yet my gay friend, really of a fine old Ontario family, is endlessly explited for his good nature, people hack into his bank account and strong male figures take his life right over while stealing his wallet.

This is all starting to sound quite a bit like Canada. Seems like everybody has licence to practice oral sex on us.

It's almost as if Jean Genet wrote that letter, straight out of "Our Lady of the Flowers", but Genet is more poetic, really poetic and I think I'm out in left field without googling.

July 21, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Sorry I've kept you all waiting with bated breath (perhaps its the sadist in me :-) The Marquis de Sade wrote it. I'm ambivalent about his novels, but find his letters absoluteley riveting.

July 27, 2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger ivan said...

I was reading the Marquis de Sade when it seems both of us were young whippersnappers.

July 28, 2006 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

August 15, 2006 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
Pharmacy tenuate Prozac in body drug test system Cheap circuit breakers campbell hausfeld standard duty pressure washer parts paintballing in florida decks patios driveways annville kentucky market value of convertible debentures calculation tire nomenclature Cisco gnu pbx Real estate schools in las vegas cisco network http://www.keywords-sanfran-cisco-hotels.info/Cisco_offical_book.html manual de cisco iron deficiency hair loss Baseball footage clips animation gps receiver for laptops

December 07, 2006 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home