That's Ms. Hill to You

Ruminations on life, remodeling, art, and whatever else comes to me at 3 a.m.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Saving Grace


Do you know where you're going to?
Do you like the things that life is showing you?
Where are you going to?
Do you know?
Do you get what you're hoping for?
When you look behind you there's no open door
What are you hoping for?
Do you know?

Sappy song, I know, I also know that I don’t know.  I don’t seem to know anything anymore, I just hope a lot.

I also like Tom Petty’s new song, “Saving Grace”

“And it’s hard to say
Who you are these days
But you run on anyway, don’t you baby?
You keep running for another place
To find that saving grace…”

And yes, the guitar riffs on the song have the sound of George Thorogood & The Destroyers, but the lyrics are pure Tom Petty; he’s all about searching, finding, and finding its wrong and searching some more.  OK, enough of my music review.

Most people would give their eye-teeth (whatever those are), or their right arm, for a chance to start over.  A financially subsidized chance to start over.  So why the hell am I crying, and fighting this?  Because it smacks of failure.

One of the more memorable things that my ex-husband said to me, when I was having a conniption over his unemployment, was “Dawn, you always keep going no matter what.”  Yeah, I can’t use the excuse that I just can’t do it anymore, because I always do keep doing it, even when I don’t want to.  Giving up and giving in just aren’t in my nature, although sometimes they seem like attractive alternatives – thus the drinking, it’s a way to drop out, if only for 12 hours or so.

I try to be ready for anything, I’m a big believer in the Boy Scout credo, “Always be prepared.”  There should be a sub-credo to that, “Always be prepared to be unprepared.”  What do you do when the thing you thought would never happen, happens?  What can you think about the unthinkable?  I never, ever, believed that I would remain unemployed this long.  I have never had trouble finding work, and yet, I am living the unthinkable, the unbelievable, at least as far as my universal view is concerned.  

So what do I do?  Sure, I cry, and drink too much, and worry, but then I suck it up and move on.  I’m meeting with my real estate agent on Monday, applying for jobs in both Wisconsin and Michigan, and hoping like hell that something, anywhere, works out.  I run on anyway (don’t I baby?).

3 Comments:

Blogger ivan said...

It is precisely at your point that I got my "song" published big time.
Years later, I tracked back to what my odds were in doing this.
Five hundred to one against.
If I'd known those odds, I wouldn't have even tried.

We brainiacs have a way of taking nothing at all and making a problem of it.

Or, if you have the wisdom, do you have to take the hemlock?

Heaven forbid we should all be playing "American Idol", but look at how good those kids really are, taking their lumps and all.
Even William Hung, though he should be.

July 21, 2006 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

February 22, 2007 6:48 AM  
Anonymous free adult romance stories said...

Cathline made room for me, and I was soon made to feel welcome as ahand I think it was Johns. A doctor can havemedicine with her, cant she.
naughtymom son bdsm stories
femdom humbler stories
gay short stories
gay teen oral sex stories
sexy diaper stories
Cathline made room for me, and I was soon made to feel welcome as ahand I think it was Johns. A doctor can havemedicine with her, cant she.

December 04, 2010 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home