That's Ms. Hill to You

Ruminations on life, remodeling, art, and whatever else comes to me at 3 a.m.

Monday, July 03, 2006

I Didn't Win the Lottery, Again

I haven’t won the lottery again. I don’t know for sure, but I’m pretty sure. Yeah, I’m pretty sure I haven’t won the lottery, again.

I hold out. Stretch out the dream, as it were. I’ll buy a ticket, and then just wait…extending the daydream. What if I did win? But I know that I won’t. I’m reasonably optimistic, but I never win these damn things.

But what if I did? I’d finish this house the way I want to, and then build my dream home (I’ve been building that baby for years, every time I have insomnia, which is often.). The big question is whether the dream home would be in Wisconsin or Michigan? If the winnings were big enough maybe I’d do both. Even if I could only do one my plan is to leave it, and a trust, so that it can become an artists’ retreat for the unschooled artists like me. I’d give our local library a new wing, and the La Crosse library, where I spent so much of my youth, a hefty donation as well.

I spoke with my mom once, about the what if’s. I told her I’d finally be able to pay back all the money I’ve borrowed over the years…she said that she thought a million would cover it, ha, ha!! Don’t know if I’d give my brother any money…haven’t heard from him lately, and we aren’t close. His wife is fabulous, but if I gave him money then she might just divorce him and take half, and I have to take care of family, just on principle. So no, no money for my brother – he’s better off with the fabulous wife.

B&C I’d make millionaires, but, being communists, they’d probably give most of it away. Well hell, that’s their prerogative, I’ll just have to give them more to cover for the charity. And E&B, I’d help them out of their current, unexpected hole. And C’s brother E, I’d take care of him too, if I could figure out how to get around the FBI. And what a joy for me, to finally be able to pay all of my bills, in full!

I think, aside from the dream house (and a trust set up purely to pay property taxes, etc.), that I would end up just as broke as I am now, were I to win the lottery, which I won’t.

Just checked. Nope, I didn’t win the lottery, again. Damn. Not even one number.

5 Comments:

Blogger ivan said...

I keep winning lotteries, personal ones, a real estate deal here, a part time professorship there.
But I keep peeing away the money!

Maybe we should hang around together?...I had gone to my folks too, when a divorce left me flatter than flat.
I tried to repay my father through a novel about him, but it was a little late. Way too late.

July 06, 2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger microe said...

If I had a Million Dollars
By the Barenaked Ladies
Off the album “Gordon”


If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a house
(I would buy you a house)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you furniture for your house
(Maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a K-car
(A nice reliant automobile)
If I had a million dollars, I'd buy your love

If I had a million dollars,
We'd build a tree fort in our yard
If I had a million dollars,
You could help it wouldn't be that hard
If I had a million dollars,
We could put like a little refrigerator in there
(We could keep snacks and beverages)

If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a fur coat
(but not a real fur coat that's cruel)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you an exotic pet
(Like a llama or an emu)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you John Merrick's remains
(All them crazy elephant bones)
If I had a million dollars, I'd buy your love

If I had a million dollars,
We wouldn't have to walk to the store
If I had a million dollars,
We'd take a limosine cause it costs more
If I had a million dollars,
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft dinner
(but we would. We'd just eat more)

If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a green dress
(But not a real green dress, that's cruel)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you some art
(A Picasso or a Garfunkel)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a monkey
(Haven't you always wanted a monkey?)
If I had a million dollars, I'd buy your love

If I had a million dollars,
If I had a million dollars
If I had a million dollars,
If I had a million dollars
If I had a million dollars, I'd be rich

July 07, 2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger ivan said...

Yeah, microe.
Some of those guys were born about a mile away from my house.
Toronto boys and Newmarket boys.

The mayor of Toronto at the time,
June Rowlands,cancelled a major concert by the Ladies because she thought there would be real barenaked ladies on the stage.

Shows you the kind of thinking at the time.

July 07, 2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger ivan said...

Ginger:
Make sure you have access to a fax machine. If not, get in touch with a copy centre.
The odds of getting a contract are 500 to one against.
But there is that outside chance.
Be available.

July 16, 2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger ivan said...

Happy Birthday!

July 16, 2006 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home